Sunday, February 12, 2017

Boundless Imagination - My First Mixed Media Artwork

I just wanted to share my very first mixed media artwork.  I was inspired by a friend of mine, Stacy Evans...Pink Poodle Crafts on YouTube....because of a Beginner Mixed Media Tutorial she made (CLICK HERE to watch it).

Here is my creation




This side view shows the dimension that was created by adding some tissue paper butterflies loosely over the top of the tissue paper butterflies that I had Mod Podged.
HINT: Don't throw away that tissue paper out of gift bags...save it...it will come in handy :)



Believe it or not, the base of this creation is cardboard from a cereal box....I love recycling and upcycling so I thought this was perfect.
I incorporated my favorite colors in this creation, and for texture I used Mod Podge to attach things like gauze, scraps of net tulle, and a torn piece of paper towel that had been used to clean up some of my paint (got that idea from Stacy).  The butterflies were die cut from tissue paper and outlined with a Sakura glitter gel pen.  The saying was stamped onto tissue paper, cut out, and Mod Podged on.  The stamp is from the Tim Holtz "Boundless Flight" stamp set Visual Artistry Collection   I felt that stamped saying was so very appropriate for this piece.

Challenges I entered....
A Gem Of A Challenge - Add A Butterfly
A Vintage Journey - Words That Are Special
Creative Artiste Challenge - #23 Anything Mixed Media
C.R.A.F.T. Challenge - #402 Recycling
The Crafter's Cafe Challenge Blog - #166 Recycle Somthing
Hiding In My Craft Room - #288 Super Scraps Saturday
Happy Little Stampers - February Mixed Media Challenge


Thank you for stopping by and...
HAPPY CRAFTING!!!


26 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is great, loving the texture you have created.
    Thanks for joining us over at CRAFT for our Recycle challenge.
    Thanks Jean DT xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jean....it was fun to make...a little unsure of myself but then it all came together :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  2. Love it!! It is very different from your usual style...but this is the year of trying new things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! And yes...this is the year of trying new things...stepping outside the box...and I'm loving it :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  3. Wonderful mixed media. And yes, that tissue paper can come in handy. Thanks for joining us at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, what fab texture and gorgeous colours! Thanks for joining in at CRAFT Challenge!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mags thank you so much for your wonderful comment!!! :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  5. Great artwork and the texture is so yummy. I spy butterflies, love them huge :) Thank you Janie for visiting my blog the other day. You made my day! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Asmah!!! You made my day too :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  6. This is fabulous, lovely colours - great upcycling.
    Thank you for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an amazing job on your first mixed media project! I love the way you created the textural background and the butterflies are gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining in our 'Words That Are Special' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne thank you so much for your wonderful comments...you made my day!!! :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  8. Hi - what a great first mixed media project. I just love all the texture you have achieved & the design & colours you have used are fab! I love using old cereal boxes too!
    Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you again - good luck!
    Hugs,
    Bev (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley....thank you so much for your sweet comments....they made my day!!! People think I'm nuts for saving "trash"....but to me its "free" craft supplies..lol :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  9. Beautiful creation. Thank you for sharing with us at the C.R.A.F.T. Challenge. - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fist Mixed Media project is awesome! It’s very impressive that you have incorporated some many recycled items. I like your color palette, layers & texture. Thanks for playing with us at Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge. Hope to see you next month. Helen, HLSMM DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helen!!! Your sweet comments mean so much to me...especially since this was my first try :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  11. This is fantastic, love the butterflies, and a great way to use scraps too!!
    its just So Pretty!!
    Thanks for joining us at Hiding in my Craft Room
    Cheers Jennie DTM
    Jenscrapstoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennie!!! I really appreciate you comments :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  12. wow... all I can say is wow. I think you did an amazing job on this and i hope this is the start of a new mixed media artist! You definitely have the knack for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stacy!!! Coming from you it means everything to me. You have made my day :) Hugs...Janie

      Delete
  13. Very impressive!, love the colours and recycling is always a great idea!!Thanks for playing with us at Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge. Hope to see you next month. too. HLSMM DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow love it admire anyone doing Mixed media a bit scary for me!

    ReplyDelete